Friday, June 22, 2007

Hey, how 'bout them Mets!!


OK, so nobody liked my last blog (not a comment) - well I wasn't too fond of it either. But I had to use my right as an American and brag a little - with a wise lesson included - in case my Mom ever buys a computer.

Who am I kidding - she only learned the popcorn button on the microwave last week! I did it for me. I confess. And it felt GOOD!

Now, there are many blogs floating around (mental image registered) that are screaming about NEGATIVES. So, I decided to change the subject. I love the New York Mets (but not as much as the Yankees, mostly due to cool Joe Torre). Well, I don't really love the Mets - it's more a geography-based "like" of the Mets, but I love the line, Hey, how 'bout them Mets!! that has appeared in TV and movies whenever someone was in an awkward situation and wanted a distraction or subject change.

Now don't get me wrong - the Mets (Metropolitan Baseball Club) are a team I've been following for over 40 (did I say that?) years. In my adolescence I would listen from my bedroom in Upstate New York to the Mets' night games as I drifted off to a restless sleep on a very, warm muggy, still August night (couldn't use HOT August night - I'd be in the clutches of Neal Diamond's attorneys). OK (again). It was HOT! There was no "drift." I laid there in my sweat, flipping my pillow to the "cool" side about every ten minutes listening to a rookie named Nolan Ryan walk batter after batter in the ninth inning to swipe defeat from the jaws of victory.

I remember feeling so sorry for the hapless speedballer that one night a single tear slipped down my cheek to further moisten my already sloshy feather pillow. Now, in retrospect, I might concede it was probably another drop of sweat. Man it was HOT!

Well, I'm through here. Just a respite from the negatives of the world. I use Hey, how 'bout them Mets!! to distract me - you can use it or get your own. Works for me.

Art Blanchet

YHYM



No comments: